Monday, September 27, 2010

My Teacher...

There is a saying... "The Teacher you need is the person you live with." I believe the amazing and insightful Byron Katie said this in reference to the idea that when we notice the people around us and closest to us they have much to teach us.
The saying doesn't say that these are the people who drive us the most crazy, but most of us know that if you spend enough time with anyone (including yourself) you will begin to notice everything about them that makes you want to scream, pull your hair out, and generally complain!
Katie's belief on this is that these "teachers" are there so that we can learn the lessons life has in store for us from the very people in our lives who not only reflect themselves, but shed light on who we are and how we behave.
My mom has recently been spending A LOT of time with our family. She was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in March and since she lives in a remote area she is getting her treatment in our town, and therefore living (mostly) in our home.
Suffice it to say... right now MY MOM is my biggest Teacher!
She just completed DAY 3 of 7.5 weeks of radiation treatment. Only 34 left to go!
You may think this is going to be all warm and fuzzy about how my mom has taught me to persevere, to rise above the struggle, or to choose life. It isn't. At least not yet.
Right now, my mom is teaching me about negativity and what it does to those around you. My mom is teaching me about anger and frustration. My mom is teaching me about what happens to you and others when you fail to express gratitude and extend grace to those closest to you.

So, I ask myself today:
  • In what areas of my life am I being negative and what impact does that have on me and my family/friends?
  • How do I behave when I am angry and frustrated? How does this serve me?
  • Who can I show more gratitude to today? What will that feel like for them and for me?
  • Who needs my grace and my patience today?

Thanks, Mom - I will be more patient and grateful to YOU today. You are an amazing teacher!

With love - Live a Juicy Life! xoxoHannah

No comments: